Re: RC: Re:overweight an issue? - Weight vs. lean mass

> Please Tom/Susan/Sarah/Heidi, someone? Could you please provide
> definitions for the below?
>
> catabolic
> anabolic
> cachexia
>
> These are not in my Webster's.
>
> TIA. These discussions are why I subscribe to RC.
>
> Deanna

Catabolic = breaking down of tissues, in these discussions, utilizing
tissues to fuel the energy requirements of exercise, implying not enough
calories/nutrients in the diet to meet the demand
Anabolic = building up of tissues, such as bone, lean muscle mass or adipose
tissue, which implies having enough calories/substrates in the ration to be
able to do that.
Cachexia = wasting of tissues, sometimes due to disease, sometimes to
malnutrition.  If you see an animal that has a long term sickness, ie
cancer, and is extremely thin because of the disease, that animal is
cachexic.  It implies more than just a little thin.

:-)

Susan G