Re: RC: Re: overweight an issue?

In a message dated 7/25/00 2:23:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time, woa@stormnet.com
writes:

<< Is it fair to ask the horse to carry an unfit rider for 100 miles?
 Should the rider make sure that the horse has the necessary frame and
 bone to carry his/her weight?  >>

This seems a bit silly to me.  An unfit rider won't last 50 miles let alone
100.  What exactly is your definition of unfit here?  Fitness and weight are
two completely different things.

I don't see why this is even being discussed.  A horse does better with a
lighter rider. End of story.  That's why the featherweights and lightweights
do so well in our sport.  Middleweights and heavyweights are a completely
different arena of competition and I know if I could drop 40 or 50 lbs my
horse would perform better.

The weight of the rider is a factor in determining best conditioned for good
reason.  Why does my daughter's horse easily complete 50's while mine has
great difficulty even though both horses train exactly the same.  In fact, I
take my horse out more often because I'm obsessed with riding while the kid
isn't (yet)  It's cause she weighs 75 pounds and I add on another hundred to
that when I mount up.

cya,
Howard