Re: Tevis - Slower riders

>     The reason I'm telling you this is because I feel qualified to
complain.
> It takes a lot of hard work to do these feats and use the same horse year

> after year and still have wonderful horses.>
> Tammy Robinson
> Trail-Rite Ranch & Products
> 661/513-9269

Tammy,
Sorry I'm so late getting in on this discussion, but I have something to
say about you "feeling qualified to complain". . .  Give me a break.  Even
if I accept everything you say about the availability of feed, etc. at
Tevis, as the truth, how do your prior accomplishments make you any more
entitled to complain than someone who is in the same situation, but with
fewer miles completed???  That doesn't make much sense.  And I do feel for
you, if what you say happened, happened -- it's much more difficult to
complete a 100 if there is limited food available to your horse. . .  Even
so, there's no need to carry on about it the way you have.  I remember
quite a few years ago  at the final ride in the championship series (when
AERC had that system), there was a situation that caused people to not only
lose their placing, but also to lose the National Championship.   It was a
2 day 150 mile event and on the second day the trail markers had been taken
down at around 40-50 miles and the whole ride ended up wandering around in
the Nevada desert, trying to at least find the next vet check.  To make a
very long story, short, they called the ride off at that vet check and just
gave completion points.  Because of the completion points only, I lost the
Junior National Championship -- did I complain (Yes, but only to friends!),
or file a protest?  NO.  Another rider lost the Championship also because
of the completion only points (Becky Hart, I believe), and did she
complain???  Well, I don't know -- but I know she didn't file a protest or
make a big deal out of it!  I understand that this situation was different
from yours -- but the principle remains the same:  Stuff happens -- get
tough, and live with it.  Calmly suggest to management what you would like
to see changed and then get busy planning your strategy for next year!

Whitney