Re: overweight an issue? - Weight vs. lean mass

In a message dated 7/26/00 11:12:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
suendavid@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< AND----I never said that increased rider weight doesn't create an increased
 metabolic/energetic and biomechanical demand.  The study already says that,
 very clearly---the heavier load of combined horse plus rider uses more
 energy and had a higher incidence of lameness, which is much more
 spohisticated than simply looking at rider weight alone.  What I'm saying is
 that over this particular 100-mile course, you cannot say a lwt rider
 necessarily has an advantage over the hwt rider, at least not without taking
 into account the condition score and body weight of the horse carrying him.

 So, Tom---you're always challenging us to think of innovation and get out of
 the ivory towers and into the field.  This data says you need to start
 thinking about weight differently, that it's not a simple issue.  Welcome to
 a brave new world of thought, chief. :-) >>

Nothing wrong with thought, and I have no aversion to complexity. However,
your initial statement, in the beginning of this discussion, was that your
study showed that rider weight made no difference. In the above paragraph,
you now introduce what appear to be two conflicting thoughts and conclusions.
What I read is that heavy weight is a disadvantage, except over this
particular course???

I will be happy to think about weight differently, as soon as I see better
thinking.

ti