nipping dogs

I can't agree with this one.  I make my living handling other peoples
dogs and have dealt with thousands over the years.  Once a dog nips or
bites, the odds are that he will do it again, even if only in certain
circumstances.  The owner must make a choice between the possibility of
injuring someone else in the future and facing a lawsuit (common these
days) or putting a good friend to sleep.  To keep this pet will require
a viligence that is hard to maintain, especially with children in the
household.  The only solution that really works is to condemn the dog to
a small pen for the rest of his life, not just occassionally.  Of
course, this ends his position as best friend or family pet.  To
maintain him as a family pet simply ensures that at some time in the
future, he will bite again.

I've read a lot of posts over the years here, about nipping dogs at
ridecamp or on the trails.  Horses and dogs are not people and do not
react the same way that we would in the same situation and we shouldn't
expect them to.  The owners who have the most trouble controlling their
dogs are the one who see them as small furry people.  I love dogs dearly
or I wouldn't be able to work with them day after day, but they are just
dogs and must follow the rules that run our society.  There are so many
'good' dogs out there that need homes, that there is no reason to
subject the world to a 'bad' dog, even if it's only bad occassionally.

Just an opinion
Barb
NW

Surely there is something you have not told us to encourage you to focus
on
euthanising your dog because he "nipped" one person.  My god, woman,
would
you put your son or daughter to sleep because of some minor social
infraction? My dogs are my children. If necessary, I would redesign my
dogs
living space to insure that they would have no access to visitors.
Depending
upon the circumstances, I would consider working on the "problem"
through
training. I might even find a professional trainer to help me. I might
even
think about adopting them out to a home where this would not be a
problem.
But the *last* thing that would come to mind would be snuffing the life
out
of them. Murderers get more consideration than this in most instances.