Re: RC: Our every whim (was: WATER WATER...)

>I mentioned the fact that ride managers don't "need" to put out
>all that water because the horses don't need it.

Kat mentioned Silver State.  I have a few comments about why there aren't
more problems on that ride.

Indeed, the spacing between water checks is sparse.

First of all, the ride is at the end of November.  It's basically winter
(it's not hot).  Secondly, it's the last ride of the season and the
majority of the riders and horses there are seasoned -- they are there for
their year end mileage and points.  So most of the people aren't pushing
hard, and they are on horses that have a great deal of experience and are
in pretty good shape.  Multi-day riders are more experienced than any other
group of endurance riders  (just look at how many of them finished Tevis
this year--and don't forget to look at the juniors too!) <G>

I have done numerous rides where I have been riding slow, and when we did
get to the water - it was completely empty (desert rides typically have all
the water supplied in troughs).  I did a ride this year where the first
water was 17 miles, and the map made it look like 8.  Having done the ride
before, I knew it wasn't at 8 miles but a lot of the riders didn't know
that.  For many it was the first ride of the season.  A lot of horses got
treated after completing the ride for colic (I know at least 4 cuz they
were on both sides and in front and back of me) -- the ride had less
(supplied) water out on the trail this year than in previous years which
also made the problem worse (and it was warm).  This kind of thing is
totally avoidable, and if people read on ridecamp that horses don't need
water any more than every 15 miles you are going to end up with a lot more
problems.  We already have too many problems from not having enough water
as it is.

I'd also like to point out that unless you have blood drawn on your horse
you have no idea what his/her hydration level is.  The vets don't even
know.  If they did, nobody would even be discussing IV's on ridecamp.

Karen