Re: RC: Re: Re:overweight an issue? - Weight vs. lean mass

> Educated guess-wise, would the same hold true for shorter distance
anaerobic
> events like 25 mile rides?  Since generally the 25 mile horses/riders are
"on
> average" not in as good a physical shape?
>
> Tamara

One, you can't make the assumption that LD horses are not in as good a shape
as a longer-distance horse, even "on average".  They're there riding LD for
a variety of reasons besides fitness level.
Two, the energetics of a 25 or 50 can be different from a 100, but they're
still primarily aerobic.  You can get quite a ways running on anaerobic, but
still not 25 miles.
You can get away with alot of things on a 25 that you can't on a 50, or a
100.  Our statistics showed that you could start with a thin horse in a 25,
and probably finish, whereas the same horse on a 50 would have an iffy
chance, and the same horse on a 100 would have a snowball's chance in hell.

Susan G