Re: RC: Re: overweight an issue?

Good for you, Pat
I get soooo tired of all this "politically correct" stuff. We are not
talking race or nationality here; we are talking about physics--- weight
is a factor-- and 2. it is a choice of the person as to the level of
fitness they choose to be. We also have some choice re: weight; however,
when my husband is his fittest, he is still over 200 lbs (being 6'5")
and would no doubt outweigh the heaviest of women out there competing,
who is fit or unfit. I personally have enough on my plate already
without making value judgments of whether others are overweight or
unfit. This is a sport where people who are not fit and who are carrying
extra weight can still be competitive by having an incredible horse.
Is it fair to ask the horse to carry an unfit rider for 100 miles?
Should the rider make sure that the horse has the necessary frame and
bone to carry his/her weight? Everyone must search their soul as to
those questions but everyone would have to agree it does put the horse
at a disadvantage to have a rider who is unfit and/or heavier built
and/or overweight. It would seem to me that such a rider would have to
be very sensitive to his horse's capabilities-- but then, isn't that
always the case? As for those trying to come in numero one, we don't see
any unfit jockeys now, do we?
Bette

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of 16.2hh TLA Halynov