From: <guest@endurance.net>
To: <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2000 9:41 PM
Subject: RC: Re: Tevis (long)

> Completed Tevis as a novice on a novice horse ajack2many
> I have been reading the ridecamp archives on the Tevis for the past few
days and cannot keep quiet any longer.  Why is it that there is always a
small number of members in any group that believe that more restrictions on
participants will resolve an undesirable situation.  I am referring to the
notion of having to qualify for the Tevis Cup.  One of the most refreshing
aspects of the Western States Ride is that it IS open to anyone!  You do not
have to be an endurance rider to participate.  I know that many competitive
trail riders have completed with success and so have other equestrians that
do NOT have a "competitive" distance backround.  In my opinion, it takes an
equestrian with "good horse sense" which includes good judgement and good
horsemanship plus a little luck to complete the ride.  There are several
"pleasure" riders that may never attend an endurance ride that fit this
description.  Think of the riders who may "pack" with their animals on
trails very similar to th!
> e Western States...their experience with a pack string may be much more
useful on a ride like this than the typical endurance rider.  There are
trail riders I know that have animals that are more than capable of handling
the trail and the distance and yet they have never competed in an endurance
event.  I would love to know if all the horses treated this year how many
belonged to experienced endurance riders and how many were novice or non
endurance riders.  Unfortunately, there will always be horses whose riders
get them into trouble (whether intentional or not) - In events as demanding
as this horses will be treated - Qualifying at a previous ride will NOT
prevent this - I have read on more than one occasion about the number of
horses treated at International FEI events - all of those horses and riders
have probably qualified at several rides before being chosen/invited to
compete. I think that the Western States Trail Foundation gives a great
description of the demands and !
> difficulties of the event in its handbook - I bet most entrants ta
> ery seriously...if not there wouldn't be so many people pulling their
entries at the last minute. The vets at the ride do a great job on trying to
weed out horses with potential problems early in the ride.  In my opinion
riders/competitors need to accept full responsibility for the condition of
their animal (I get so tired of hearing about the elusive stone bruise that
caused the lameness or the lame excuses for metabolic problems)and admit
that they over rode or did not read their animal correctly and take steps so
the problem does not occur again.  Observers, non riders and other
competitiors should not jump to the conclusion that "more rules and
restrictions" will keep horses from being treated.  In my opinion, it will
only cause some riders to try to hide their animal's problem from the vet
until it becomes too serious to hide.  How many times have we walked by a
horse being treated and made the snide comment or thought "So & so thrashed
their horse"  This type of attitude!
>  is not any more beneficial to the sport than the person who overrode the
animal.  Thanks for letting me vent and I'll go back to "lurking"