balking horse

Having a slight challenge with a horse that otherwise
I really do like.  I am not sure if she is being
stubborn or if she is scared.  She does not like to
take the lead very much in a crowd situation or even a
one-on-one ride, but she will when I make her.  It
just seems as if she will be going good and then she
will suddenly stop and just not want to go.  My hubby
who rode with me today says that she is being stubborn
and that I need to get her respect.  He may be right.
So, today I went with spurs and a crop (no this is not
an Arab) and would make her move forward, but actually
even with those aids it would take a bit and I would
get frustrated.  I don't really want to use aids like
that one her....Any suggestion for a horse that
hesitates like that and lacks impulsion?  She turned
four this spring and is a Missouri Fox Trotter. She is
such a sweetheart and very layed back actually and has
a wonderful gait.  I'm in love, except for that. Also,
I forgot to mention that when on the way HOME, she
moves out very nicely and then does not lack impulsion
and does not stop and minds very good.  So, this might
indicate that she is lazy?   Help would be
appreciated.  Thanks - Terri