Re: Metabolic Pulls at Tevis

Karen wrote:

> Well, I've been running more of the #'s on all of the non-finishers
> (riders).  And I have found this:
>
> It doesn't matter.
>
> Having a qualifying ride for Tevis would make no difference.

   I pulled the results of the 99 Tevis ride, they show the following.

    Now for statistics from the 99 ride.  I have not seen the best results
from 2000 yet.  In 1999 10 horses out of 224 got pulled for M. This is 4.5%,
just a little above the AERC average. 7 of those (70%) got pulled at that
first vet check.  Of those 2 were fast riders with over 3000 miles
each, 1 was a 23,000 mile rider, 1 was a 1000 mile rider, 2 were 100 & 350
and the last I couldn't find but sounds foreign.  So it doesn't sound to me
that any qualifying criteria would make a difference.

      Regarding the head vets comments at the awards, there were not 89
pulls for metabolic, the actual results should be made available soon, but I
expect they would be similar to 1999, increased due to more riders. And I
would agree with qualifying criteria if the facts showed it to be of some
benefit. But both Karen and my statistics don't seem to show that it would
help at all.

Jim Mitchell