buying without riding

Dear RC,

I know people will buy young or unbroke horses that they can't ride before
purchasing.  If you are one of these people, why do you buy those horses?

Also, for everybody, would you ever buy a horse you went to see in person,
that could be ridden, but didn't ride?  Preferring to start your own
training *as if* the horse had never been ridden?  Or do you always ride?
If you don't ride, what other things do you look at to help you decide to
buy the horse or not?  Similar to the distance buying thread that just came
through about watching attitude and movement and conformation?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

April (dreaming of my hunt for my next horse when I return to the States)
adlee@bigfoot.com
Phnom Penh
CAMBODIA