Re: RC: Weight Divisions Points

At 04:33 PM 01/21/2000 -0800, Kay Mathews wrote:
>Randy & all:   I've read all the posts for and against the current point
>system.  I completely understand what you all are talking about because
>I have both benefitted and been penalized due to how points are
>calculated.  Here's my two cents on how it may make it more fair.
>1.  BOD to redefine National/Regional Awards Program.   Make it so a
>person/horse can accummulate points in the region the ride is held.  If
>you ride in the West, you get West points.  If you ride in the SW, you
>getSW point, etc.  It is possible a single horse/rider team could end up
>with 150 pts in the W or 200 pts in the SW, or whatever.  It really
>wouldn't matter how it was calculated as long as it was consistent.
>These points would not count towards a National Award.

I'm not sure I understand.  Are you saying that national awards points
would only be accumulated in your home region?  Riders do have an advantage
that travel to different regions, however, you are probably not going to
win a national award of any kind if you don't travel out of your region.

>2.  Do away with overall awards/points.  IMHO the " top ten" is an
>outdated concept  which is supported by those still living in the 70's
>before weight divisions.

<G>  My husband's biggest gripe about the hypocrisy of AERC's "To Finish is
To Win" motto.  He always is asking if to finish is to win why do they
award top ten awards. What about the last ten?  I really like the Las Vegas
rides where they draw ten vet cards at the end and give the awards that way.

>3. AERC could charge an individual $10 (or something) for keeping
>trackof the points in multiple regions.(BOD should like this....more
>revenue!) <g>

Okay, but then make them charge us less than $35 per meal at the awards
banquet, will ya?

>4.  Multiday riders/points would only count towards the Pioneer Award.

And not towards regional or national mileage?  See, I think the weight
division problem really shows up most for those that ride multidays.
Everybody knows you can do a ride like Applegate-Lassen, or Lost Wagon
Train and because they only have two dozen entries, rack up the points big
time.  Or you can go to the XP where they had 96 riders start on the first
day, ride even faster on a lot harder trail and end up with 1/3 the
points.  It's okay if you are competing against people who are doing the
same rides as you.....but it doesn't always work that way.

>5.  Karen Chaton's idea about rating rides is a good one, but hard to
>implement (do by rider vote?).  Since this is  cumbersome, don't rate
>each ride, just designate a few rides as "National" rides where a
>horse/rider can accummulate points towards a National Award (by weight
>division).  I suppose a few will also want that overall standing
>list,but really, out of your weight division, who cares?

Actually, I was thinking more like taking a ride and averaging out the
average finishers ride speed.  You've got so many variables going on, but
obviously a ride is going to be harder that has the slowest person
finishing hours ahead of the winner at another ride in a different region.

>6.  This may be a way to put some life-blood into the National
>Championship.  Let's make it a real and coveted program.  Let's raise
>the standards set by such rides as Cosequin, Tevis, O.D., Big Horn,
>Swanton, to name a very few.  Let's designate rides like these as
>National Championship Rides.

That would be a great way to encourage people to try riding 100's.

>7.  FEI points and qualifying rides anyone?  Why not?  These rides could
>even be double designated Championship/FEI rides.   If a rider chooses
>not to FEI qualify, that's a personal  choice.  At least it's another
>option.

>8.  National caliber rides should have pre-qualification criteria for
>horse/rider that includes  regional parameters and history, not just a
>one-time shot.

I really like that idea.  I hate that you have to qualify at *one* ride in
order to be able to do the NC ride now.  Besides that, the system isn't
working.  Just look, the PS region has their NC qualifying 100 mile ride
next month, and it's still not listed as such in the current Endurance
News, or listed as such on the on-line ride calendar.  And even if it was,
not exactly fair that the riders in that region (or those nearby) to not
have the time to prepare in advance for a 100 mile ride.  I'm in the West
region, and again still do not know what the qualifying rides are this year.

>9.  Let's get IAHA to help fund some really great awards for  high point
>national championship  stallion, breeders sweepstakes, or how about the
>rider who rides backwards or something.  I'm for whatever creates
>interest.

I did the last ride with my stirrup on backwards.  Do you think that is
worth anything? <bg>

>I think these ideas can help small rides/regions.  It may increase
>participation in lesser attended rides within a region and make it more
>fair for everyone.
>o.k. I'm off to find my flame-resistant outfit now.
>Tinker(Dublin)Hart
>West Region

Better warn your mom that her computer is going to be smoking shortly.  LOL

Happy Trails,

Karen
in NV
& Rocky, 2,410 miles