RC: Re:Stallion behavior

Hi again
With all this serious talk about stallions combined with the fact it is
still too cold to venture outdoors, I thought I'd offer up a funny
anecdote about mine. Hal, alias Steve McQueen (for those of you not old
enough to know who is was, he starred in The Great Escape--God, I'm
dating myself), decided to "pick his lock" and go looking for action in
the off season. Well there was a mare in heat in a pasture next to my
other boys, two of which were 3 year old sons of Hal's and the other 2
were by Expo. Well Hal and the wanna-be-studs got into a kicking match
through the fence and by the time Mark and I heard the hubbub (from the
cheering onlooking mares) they had broken the fence. Well 3 of the boys
looked at Hal's size and decided to look for greener pastures. Runlike
Hal thought he could take on his dad, after all, the maiden was willing
and waiting next door and the prize looked to be worth the
risk---initially. Well, as Mark and I looked on in terror ( we didn't
think the old hose trick would work on stallions as it does on dogs) and
prayed for an answer to come, the boys grabbed each other on the neck
and on their two hind legs circled around---just like in the movies.
This lasted for about thirty seconds (although it seemed like an
eternity) until they both decided it was no fun and this way no one got
the mare. They released each other and both started towards the mare. We
were able to cut off Runlike Hal and herd him into the pasture and use
the van as a barricade.
Next we had to deal with Hal. By this time he had managed to break down
the fence and get to Wiennaa. By the time we reached him, he was already
on top of her. Mark and I looked at each other and simutaneously said
"naaaa" and decided to wait until
the boy was finished. We caught him in the "afterglow" and quickly put
the halter on him and led him to his pen where we then used 2 locks to
hold him in. The rest of the boys were easy to round up.
Sooo that is how we got What The Hal who you will find for sale on our
web site. True story---could I make up such a tale?
Bette

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of TLA Halynov