RC: Re:Aussie Saddles

I bought 3 Aussie saddles from the Australian Stock Saddle Company  (the
web site posted earlier) and I must tell you that I have just loved
them.  Mine were made with English leather that was almost already broke
in when I got the saddle.  I mean FINE leather!  Colin (president of the
company) is a great person to do business with and if you need to change
saddles for any reason, they will trade.  I rode in one I had for a
year, lost weight and wanted a smaller saddle.  The trade in cost for my
saddle to a new one just like it was around $50.  Mine was well cared
for, but they have a huge demand for the used ones, so the price holds
pretty firm.  The saddles are well made, no skimping on stitches and the
construction is excellent.  When I first got mine, I couldn't decide
between a Syd Hill and the one I bought at first, but since then I have
seen the Syd Hill's and I would say that they are comparible.  Good
companies and good saddles. Don't put these companies in the same league
as the cheap saddle knockoffs coming from India.  The buffalo hide is
not going to last much more than 7 years, I have been told.  Also, if
you look at the way they are constructed, there are a few stitches or a
rivit holding important stress parts together...not good.  Often the
india made saddles have warped trees also and are made for more TB type
horses...very narrow.

Just a few comments....

Melanie Johnson
PAYBACK RANCH ARABIAN