Re: RC: Tevis - Slower riders

In a message dated 7/19/00 9:25:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Trailrite@aol.com writes:

<<  You have no right to judge me on how I perform with my horse.  You didn't
 win the Nat'l 1st place Pioneer Heavyweight Championship for last year, we
 did, and you do have to know what your doing to win that.  It's not done in
 just one 24 hour ride once a year!

 Tammy Robinson >>

Tammy,

It is unfortunate that you've blocked me from sending you email--forces me to
broadcast this reply.

First of all, as soon as you enter the arena of ideas, you subject yourself
to the judgement of others--that's the price you have to pay for free
expresson. In order to avoid most unwanted judgements, you might consider the
"never complain, never explain" approach to discourse.

But, in this case, you have complained, and now you're complaining
again--about judgements that naturally flow from your original complaint. It
is dangerous to cite wins as vaccination against criticism in horse
endeavors, because virtually everyone knows that race winners can exhibit as
much piss-poor horsemanship as the next guy.

Second, the first rule of combat is "Hit 'em with overwhelming force". Tevis
competiton, to the true competitors, is a polite form of combat. And
overwhelming force in this case is ensuring that you've covered all the
bases--a maximally fit horse, top notch support through the competition, all
the details looked after, contingency plans for the inevitable miscues that
occur in the "fog of battle".

Third, when something comes up that there was no way to anticipate, and you
lose the competition, you forgive yourself and go on to the next competition,
glad that you're alive to fight again. And, when you have time to reflect,
you think about "what if that happens again?" Generally, there is a solution
that can be self-administered.

Fourth, sportsmanship is much like horsemanship--it's hard to define, but you
know it when you see it. Or some do.

ti

From AOL:

>The following problems occurred while processing your request:

Trailrite - This member is currently not accepting e-mail from your account.>