Re: RC: Re: Re: Re: Re: uh-oh, Insulted Farrier

I am very fortunate.  I've had the same farrier for 9 years who takes
great care of our horses.  He is an extremely dedicated person to his
craft and perhaps this is his "secret".  His work is craftmanship, not a
"job".  He shoes the whole horse, not just a foot, in that proper
balance is the key.  In addition to my making him 2 apricot pies every
year on his birthday, he has also accompanied us to 2 Race of Champions
(helped my husband crew) and has come to a number of Swanton Pacific
100's to crew and enjoy camping in the redwoods.  Is this unique?
Perhaps, but our horses have always been held by us or cross tied by us;
he's never had to run around attempting to catch a horse which is a
waste of time and money for him; our horses are well-mannered and not a
problem to shoe and he's always been paid promptly on the spot.  We
respect him for his craftsmanship and  care of and for the horse and
have never objected when he's raised his fees.  We have always provided
him a clean, level, shaded/sheltered place to work so our relationship
has always been one of mutual respect.  Perhaps the last two words in
that sentence are the most significant.  Barbara