RC: uh-oh, Insulted Farrier

Keri wrote:
>>When someone is having shoes put on and the farrier is having an
intern do the work, do he/she ask first?  After all you are paying for
the farrier's experince, not to be a "lesson" for an intern.  Yes, I
know they have to learn some where, but should we have to pay exp.
farrier's prices when he/she is having a "student" do the job?
Shouldn't we have the choice who we want?  After all we are paying them!<<

The apprentices that used to accompany my farrier to my barn never
touched my horse. They observed, listened, and asked questions. How did
they practice? My farrier had an arrangement with a couple of large
boarding stables to work on retirees and school horses. I always enjoyed
the students because it created an environment for interesting dialogue.

Whether or not your farrier is a "princess", I've found that it can help
to phrase one's concerns in the form of a question... "Hmmmm...I see
you're rasping a bit more toe off than usual...is there a particular
reason for this?" :))

Bobbie