Re: RC: Hikers and us

Hey wait a minute!  As a trail rider and mountain packer we want hikers
on the downhill side of the trail.  It has been my experience that
anything above the horse is far more threatening than something on the
downhill side and yes please talk to the riders. I find that if I the
horse ride speak first it really helps to get the hikers talking.  Also
if you are going to talk to the hikers for more than a few minutes it is
polite to dismount -  puts us all on the same level.  Of course there
are exceptions to this downhill/uphill rule.  Let safety be your guide
always.  As an exhiker/backpacker I've seen this situation from both
sides and yes, I have met both Ira Spring and Harvey Manning on the
trail.  In the past I have also written two hiking guides to both the
Entiat and Teanaway areas of Washington State.  I always enjoyed meeting
horseman when I was a backpacker and now I find I enjoy meeting hikers.
Mutual respect is what is important.   Mary S., Arlington, Wa.