Re: ReactorPanel Saddle

Hi Cel,

Regarding badly designed saddles, I can only speak from my personal
experience.

I own and operate a riding school, and bought two saddles in my own dark days
of ignorance that I've since tried on 20-30 horses.  Arabs, Thoroughbreds,
Morgans, Ponies, Quarter Horses, a mustang, and all different body types
among these breeds.  I can't get either saddle to fit a single horse.   Maybe
there's a Zebra or a Unicorn out there somewhere that could wear these
saddles easily.  I would suggest that these saddles were not designed to fit
horses.

(Luckily, I noticed how terrible one was right away, and donated it to a
friend to hang on the wall as a decoration.  The other I used for a few years
before I gained knowledge about fit...it's now in my garage.)

Then there's the other side of the coin; saddles that may have been designed
for a horse, but don't fit the horse they are on.  I go out and fit lots of
horses these days.  The purpose of the fitting session is to give someone a
chance to test a ReactorPanel, but we often spend time checking the rider's
own saddle.  I've seen some terrible things out there; wouldn't say that
these were necessarily saddles that couldn't fit ANY horse, but certainly
didn't fit the horse who is spending many hours each week underneath them.
There's the rider who got off after a 50 to find her horse's withers were
bloody.  Or the rider who's saddle pinched so incredibly in the shoulder that
with the saddle on the horse's back, no rider aboard and the cinch undone, it
was almost impossible to slide a finger between the saddle and the horse's
shoulder.  Or the saddle that bridged so badly, there was nearly AN INCH of
daylight between the center of the saddle and the horse's back.  And the
owner of that horse thought I was part gypsy when I said, "Want to see your
horse flinch?" and then ran my finger lightly over the area where the panel
dug into his back -- and , of course, the horse dropped six inches.

I could go on and on...but won't.  Will only encourage all riders to spend a
little time learning the basics of saddle fit, and then take a good look at
your saddle, on your horse, without any pads underneath.  Do your partner a
favor.

Carmi