Re: Re: Re: Re: ReactorPanel Saddle

Hi Karen,

I had an OF and a RP concurrently.  The OF did give my horse white hairs,
and it was eventually sold.  As a layperson, the differences that I saw
were:

1.  the panels of the RP seem to flex more and fit my horse's shoulders a
little better (he's gaited and has big shoulders).  it was harder to flex
the OF over the shoulders, and the difference in flexiness was readily
apparent when you flexed the two different types of panels by hand.

2.  the body of the RP sits on the panels, so the saddle feels closer to the
horse and it seems the weight should be more evenly distributed (especially
on hills, which caused dry spots with the OF).  I have not seen dry spots
with the RP, even on big hills. YAY!!

3.  the rigging of the RP comes off the tree, not off the flap.  I liked
this *a lot* better.  Plus the RP has 4 billets so the fit is more
adjustable.  I use the RP's two point billets, which makes the saddle very
stable on my mutton withered horse.  The saddle has not slipped side to side
at all and I use an woolback elastic ends girth not toooo tight (I don't
tighten it when I am on like RP recommends).

4.  I like that I can move the blocks on the RP to customize the fit.  My
two horses are quite different in their back structure, and I would have to
adjust it differently to use it on my mare.  I also like that I can use
different block thicknesses if needed to adjust the fit.

5.  I like that I can get short panels for the RP if needed (it was a
consideration as we sometimes use it on a slightly swaybacked Icelandic
pony).

That said, I like the seat of the OF and the rider comfort and I was sad to
sell it.  I think the OF would probably have worked fine for my Arab who has
more "normal" shoulders.  I am not anti-OF, they just didn't work for two of
my horses.  I am pro-RP because I think they have a lot of neat design
features that work for me.  I really want a second dressage model for my
mare. :-)

FWIW, I have been riding with the RP and a Tucker Ventilator (like a Dixie's
No Sweat Pad), and the two work *great* together.

m (aka Michelle Rowe), CO