Re: RC: Re: ReactorPanel Saddle

Hi Karen and any other interested followers,

Thought I'd jump in here and address your questions.

In a message dated 7/16/00 7:10:27 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
greymare@jps.net writes:

> I have a few questions  (have clipped pertinent parts)

>  If the panels are built on either side of the spine, and designed to bear,
>  and spread weight, then why do you even need the spring tree?  Is it
>  similiar to a standard english spring tree? My complaint with those is that
>  the stirrup bars are hung off the gullet part of the tree, making the rider
>  unbalanced and bringing pressure down on either side of the withers.

The tree is indeed a "standard" tree, but it is broader at the head to
accommodate the true shape of the horse.  A standard tree measures 12"
between the shortened points.  The tree serves to distribute weight, provides
a place to hang the stirrups, ensures there is a solid structure in the front
to provide a shape that ensures wither clearance, and provides a platform for
building a comfortable seat for the rider.  In most RPs, the stirrup bars are
extended (hung more to the rear than on many English saddles).  Regarding
wither or any other pressure, computer pressure sensor testing and analysis
shows terrific results under an RP.

>  If this saddle is basically a solid tree attatched to flexible panels, then
>  how is it any different from an Orthoflex?

There are quite a few differences, including shorter, more flexible panels on
the RP.  Shock-absorbing discs as the four points of contact on the RP,
rather than OF's four bolts, and RP has contact under the center of the
saddle and the top of the panel, for a total of six points of contact.  More
adjustability in panel placement.   ReactorPanel looks and feels like a
top-quality English saddle, made in England by English saddlers.

>  I know some of you love your Orthoflexes, but what I dislike about them is
>  the weight, the hard tree, and the distance they put you above the horses
>  back.

Personal preference comes into play here.  Which is why we won't sell an RP
without a trial.  RP is 19 lbs (endurance saddle); 22 lbs for others.  The RP
is closer to the horse's back.  I let riders get in RP and tell me if they
like it.  I don't presume to say we're better...only different.

>  Going to Deb Bennet's web site, she mentions what has worked historically
>  are saddles that are flexible, stuffed leather pads on either side of the
>  spine........the tree becomes un-necessary, only problem becomes
attatchment
>  of stirrups

Anyone spending time and effort thinking about the physiology of the horse
and making a best effort at choosing a saddle after an informed evaluation is
a hero in my book.  ReactorPanel is good - some of my customers use much
stronger superlatives - but it is not the only solution.  There are a number
of saddles that work well; some better than others.  There are also some
dangerous attempts at saddle making that lack scientific basis or even
rudimentary consideration of the horse's anatomy in their design, and will
attract business from well-meaning people, much to their horse's detriment.

Please feel free to email me directly if you want to go into more detail.

Carmi Weininger
The ReactorPanel Saddle Co.
reactorpanel@aol.com