Horse flies

This morning my husband and I went on a ride at Lake Cooper State Park, TX.
We always enjoy riding there except for those HUGE, BLOODSUCKING horse
flies.  Today they attacked our horses by ten-twentys at the same time. We
sprayed the horses against insects before we left, but those BIG ONES do not
care. The grey horse was covered with bloody spots when we returned after a
two hours ride.
Does anybody know a solution for this problem?
Thanks
Maria Berger