Re: RC: Energy expenditure on a ride

In a message dated 7/13/00 9:36:26 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
ralston@AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU writes:

<< This ought to liven up the discussion for a while!
 I've been having a side conversation with ti regarding fuels for
 endurance horses and, as usual, he stimulated me to do a bit of digging
 into the literature. Came up with some estimates (these are
 rough) that might be of interest to the list:

 It has been estimated that a horse expends 12.4 kcal per hour of fast
 trot/canter (and this does not include hill work or sand type footing) per
 kg of weight.
 Assuming the elite horses (500 kg combined horse/rider/tack weight)
 are covering a relatively flat 100 mile course at the
 fast trot/canter mode (a little over 12 mph) in about 8 hours of travel
 time, they would expend
 about 50 Mcal of energy. This is in addition to the 16 Mcal required for
 "maintenance". 8 ounces of pure carbohydrate provides 0.9 Mcal.
 Total caloric content of muscle glycogen in a 1000 lb horse has been
 estimated to be 15 Mcal, liver glycogen 0.6 Mcal, intramuscular
 triglycerides (IMTGs-
 fat stored in the muscle) is 18 Mcal.
 If you rely exclusively on glycogen, glucose from carbos and IMTG
 you would have to give over 16 eight ounce carbo doses during those 8 hours
 (1 lb per hour!) just to cover the exercise induced caloric expenditure.
 You probably do not
 want to totally deplete the glycogen stores, so the caloric deficit would
 be even greater.
 So adipose (fat) tissue calories (366 Mcal available in the average 1000 lb
 horse),
 which could not be used in the glucose driven environment of the carbo
 charged horse, >

This fuel source would be inhibited, but not eliminated.

> or protein calories from muscle breakdown, which would not be inhibited by
 the high glucose/insulin
 but would not be very desirable, or VFA (from digestion of fiber in the
 large intestine) utilization has to kick in somewhere. The VFAs are utilized
via the
 Emden-Meyerhoff and TCA cycles (the pathways used by glucose and glycogen
 during aerobic work),
 which means their utilization would appear as carbo use in your RER (this
 is a measurement
 which reflects the type of "fuel" being used-fats have low RER,
 Carbohydrates have high).
 So, as Susan has so often said, both a good store (not excessive, however)
 of body
 fat and a gut full of good hay, grass or beet pulp may help carry
 our partners through those long rides-even carbo charged front runners.
 Food for thought.>

Certainly food for thought, as is the improvement in performance with carb
supplementation during the ride, as we've now seen hundreds of times. As is
the near-universal use of similar supplementation in elite human endurance
athletes.

To bring you all up to date on this discussion, here is the original premise
I sent out to Sarah and others:

New Hypothesis

One of the primary adaptations seen in longterm endurance conditioning is
greatly increased mitochondrial use of intramuscular triglycerides. Virtually
all of the fat used during endurance competition in humans comes from this
already-stored and efficiently-converted substrate source.  Little, if any,
fat in circulation is used as racing fuel when carbohydrate supplementation
is being used during the race. And, of course, adipose tissue is the most
costly of fuels to mobilize.

So, the idea is to tune, through conditioning, the muscle cells and their
mitochondria to efficiently seek out and burn intramuscular triglycerides. In
order to challenge that fuel pathway, an overabundance of fat supply during
the conditioning phase is counterproductive, so you train with a modest level
of fat in the diet.

Then, as you approach the competitive season, you load fat-perhaps for as
long as 6 weeks. Essentially what we're talking about here is at least
doubling the fat contribution to energy supply during this time. Since most
of the fat-burning structural changes are already in place at this point, all
we're doing here is loading intramuscular triglycerides and associated
enzymes.  We do not pull back the carbs-what we're looking for is a temporary
oversupply of energy-with the fat being deposited intramuscularly while carbs
remain the primary circulating exercise fuel.

Then, perhaps 5-7 days prior to the first significant competition, we
carboload, topping off muscle glycogen and CP supplies.

Then, the night before, we pull all carbs, kicking in the fat-recruitment
process, and we start the competition under that flag, with the first dose of
carb supplement just before the start of the race. And we continue with carb
supps throughout the race-and after.

Why?

It is clear, scientifically and practically, that carb supps during an
endurance ride dramatically improve performance-particularly in those horses
"going for the gold".

But carbohydrate is only the icing on the endurance substrate cake. Without
the underlying supply of intramuscular triglycerides, stored carbohydrate
fuel is quickly used up[--well, not quickly, but eventually-we've found that
you can lope about 80K on carbs alone, after a starvation diet that "ripped"
up to 200 lbs of flesh from the experimental horses (not my
experiment!!!)-then carbo-loaded them for ten days prior to the trial. But
80K was the max distance at moderate speeds and heartrates achieveable. And
recovery from such work was slow and painful.

That underlying triglyceride substrate base is the key to never having to
worry about available substrate under a carb-supplemented high-output
competition. It is the key to maintaining adequate glycogen stores-when the
horse runs out of muscle glycogen and is relying on blood glucose alone, he's
on a very fast downhill rollercoaster.   Very dangerous situation in a number
of ways.

How?

Now, that's the hypothesis. It seems logical to me, and worth a field trial
or two. But there are many questions unanswered. For example, how do you
avoid oxidative damage during fat loading? How does a shift to a primarily
carb-based training diet to a fat loading diet affect digestion? What are the
best oils for this purpose? How far can you go with this-what are the
limiting parameters of the approach? And what is the best race-day protocol?
These and other questions need at least tentative answers.

And that's why I'm asking you to wrestle with this concept a little in your
spare time.

Tom