Grass is always greener...

Et et-albert@msn.net
There's not much nicer than seeing your horses on green pasture where once it was a bare, dirt lot.  Especially if you worked very hard to make that pasture.

But I'm reminded of the two adages (sp), "be careful what you wish for", and "the grass is always greener on the other side".

I finally have nice pasture,  now I have metabolic problems (one horse only), possibly. possibly, contributed to by the addition of pasture.  I defer you to the archieves, Biltmore syn, clover, high nitrogen, spring grass.

I undoubtly agree one must find out what a horse will eat and go with it.  I also agree there's nothing like grass to add shine and fat to a horse.  But I need to say that I've had good hundred milers here when it was a dirt lot, also.  The only weight problem they had was too much weight!  They were shiny and in good coat with just hay (and sorry to say, not even good hay) and grain and corn oil.  The added element to good coat, following worming, vaccinations and maybe genes, as someone stated, was good exercise.  Exercise is in my opinion, critical to all of us looking good.