Re: RC: Putting weight on extremely finicky horse

In a message dated 7/12/00 2:00:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
GoldenCMK@aol.com writes:

<< Now, here again I think genes may play a role.... I have two stallions,
both
 on lush green pasture 24/7. Dancer is fat and conditioning for endurance and
 Goldust is skinny and he gets fed grain, hay and does nothing. >>

I somewhat agree with the "genes theory," but would like to add:  my gelding
who seemed to be a very poor keeper really seemed to put on the weight after
I legged him up, put him in  a few races and then turned him out for  a
while.  His appetite picked up after being in condition for  a while.  I have
plenty of access to lots of green pasture and tried all the other stuff from
Ration Plus to the rice bran to beet pulp, whatever it took to get the
viddles in him.  He just decided that if he was going to have to work he
wanted to survive.  ;-))

Jackie Baker