Re: Re: Putting weight on extremely finicky horse

----- Original Message -----
From: "Susan Garlinghouse" <suendavid@worldnet.att.net>

> Some of the best advice ever given to me about nutrition for horses was
from
> an old Saddlebred trainer who told me to find out what the horse likes to
> eat and then give it to him.  Several very expensive degrees in nutrition
> later, it's still the best in-a-nutshell pearl of wisdom I ever got.

I have to deal with two hard-keepers; and they eat everything in front of
them, free choice of hay's, and lots of beet-pulp with pellets, grain and
OIL. Still, one always looks too thin-and of course, access to salt, teeth
done, worming done, etc.

the conclusion I have come to, is the way to keep horses fat and shiny, is
to have access to PERMANENT GREEN PASTURE. Several friends have their horses
on that, and no matter
how much they train and condition, their horses are always on the fat side!
They have to take the horses OFF it, can't be on 24 hours a day.

So, this year I made an irrigated pasture, as big as I can manage to water,
It is about 60 by 90 ft.
I seeded with irrigatged pasture mix, and am watering and mowing like crazy
this year to get it established.  Next year the horses can be on it at
night.  I think it will help a lot.

Karen