Tevis Weather

Angie wrote:
<<Well...we've whined an awful lot about humidity out here, but I think I
might handle it better than all the dust.  I'll bet we have more shade
and ground cover...thus you have to deal with the radiant heat, and the
reflected heat off the light covered ground...plus, climbing out of those
canyons I doubt there's a chance to create much of a breeze.  Either way,
I think both ends of the country are doing plenty of "enduring".>>

When I moved from the humid climes of Maryland/Virginia to the deserty
Pacific Southwest region one year ago, I was really thrown for a loop by
the reflected heat in the canyons and the radiant heat coming off the
light ground...You may recall my cries for help with lightheadedness and
"sun headaches" that plagued me for several months. Riding with
virtually no shade cover from forests coupled with the reflected and
radiant heat nearly did me in! I was pining for the shaded Eastern
trails with their abundant streams...but finally found some great
solutions (including EmergenC, Cytomax, feverfew & calcium/magnesium
tablets, plus a Camelbak for constant hydration)...and I think a lot of
it is just adapting over time to the new conditions. Recently, we've
experienced some actual late-morning humidity, before the sun burns off
the clouds...not in a class with Eastern mugginess, but humidity
nonetheless--simply another good training aid. You're absolutely right,
Ang--both ends of the country (and the middle, too) do plenty of
"enduring." Now does anyone know any ways for a human to prepare for
riding at high altitude?

Bobbie & April