RE: TRAINING ON THE BEACH

No beaches here, but  sand, sand, sand, sand,......ad nauseum. Take it easy at first. One hour of work on sand seems to be equivalent to 1.5 or 2 on harder ground and take lots of time to build up tendons. We lose more horses to tendon injuries than anything else. Make haste extremely slowly.

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt
gabbani@starnet.com.eg

Anyway, I was wondering, do any of you train on the beach?  Is there anything I should be careful of in respect of injuries to tendons, etc?  Is there a program I should use for getting the horses used to it (two TBs, both of whom are more used to the harder ground of Gauteng)?  I remember from my lifesaving days that it was better for my muscles to work on the harder ground first (near the water) and then to move higher up to the softer ground, but would this not impact badly on the suspensory ligaments (changing the hardness of the ground)?

Any help would be appreciated.  Job offers in PE would also be welcome.  Or donations.  Or sugar beet.

Tracey