Re: deworming program

Hi, there.  Glad this thread got started, as I just has a l-o-o-o-o-o-ong
chat to my vet about deworming.  He more or less told me to ignore what I
read on the internet as it did not apply to South Africa / Australia, and
that the ONLY wormers which worked out here are Equimax and Equest, and
Ivermec drench (like they use for sheep)

He indicated that I should use Ivermec every six to eight weeks, and Equimax
three times per year (for tape worm).  Also said that Quest did not have the
"magical" twelve week efficacy it promised, but only eight weeks, which
makes it VERY expensive.

I don't drench, so I just shove the Ivermec liquid in their food, and will
use Equimax every fourth time I deworm (which I do every six weeks)

But I don't understand his meaning about the efficacy of Quest.  He
indicated it ran counter to the worm cycle, but I thought that there was an
ingredient in it which stayed in the system for twelve weeks, making it
efficacious - I vaguely recall something about it adhering to the fatty
tissue in the stomach?

Anyway, thought I'd ask other South Africans / Australians whether they had
heard anything similar, as it has blown my worming regimen out of the
window!

Oh, BTW, according to the vet Talmin, Ivermec tablets, Eqvalan don't work
(worms out here have become immune) AND Onderstepoort is reporting cases of
Liver Fluke in horses (like you find in sheep)  Ye gads!  Gotta get out of
Joburg!

Tracey