Re: RC: Thoroughbreds as Endurance Horses

In my limited experience (4 TB's in over 30 years),
they have had such poor, shelly feet that they just
didn't hold up to the wear & tear.  The two who were
off the track had track injuries that acted up over
time, too.  Career-limiting injuries weren't an issue
with the ones who never saw a starting gate.

I also had some problems keeping wight on the TB's
compared to my Arabs.  Except for one, the arabs have
all been "easy keepers".

I firmly believe that horses who have been properly
conditioned as athletes all their lives can transition
to endurance and be a step ahead.  We rehabbed a 15 yo
Standardbred trotter (right off the track) into
endurance.  He was so fit when we got him!  I think
our training regime was easier than his normal life at
the track!!!  He was an absolute joy, recovered well,
stayed sound...  I don't see many SB's either.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV