ride results (kinda long!)

Well Susan, back from our 25 at Renegade! Classy's second
finish in 3 years. (We don't get to alot of rides, but it's
still a big deal!) Anyway, lots of meals Wed./Thurs. and
Fri. before the ride. Lots of beet pulp, electrolyted the
night before. A fairly warm ride with LOTS of HUGE hills!
Electrolyted after the morning beet pulp. Drank fairly well
the night before and a little that am. Let the pack take
off without us and left 8 min. after the start. First 5
miles is ALL uphill. He drank well at the first water spot.
I didn't electrolyte here, it was still early and cool and
not far into the ride. Sponged and went on. Worked on
pacing ourselves and seeing horses in front and not
allowing him to pass. Needs to learn that a butt in front
does not mean anything! Drank again about 10 miles and I
electrolyted afterwards. Anyway, great vet scores at the 13
mile out-vet-check. A- in gut sounds. I had forewarned the
vets at the check the night before to watch CLOSELY and
they had marked his card for the next day. Was already at a
60 pulse when we walked into the vetcheck. Left after 45
min. (He drank and ate grass, carrots and some beet pulp at
the check) Back on the trail (alone!) pacing pretty well.
Started down a gravel road, downhill with lots of grass
growing alongside. I got off and walked, picked grass and
fed as we went for about 1/4 mile. Until horses passed us
and then he wouldn't concentrate on food anymore. Drank
well at the next stop about 8 miles after check.
Electrolyted again, and then back to camp. Pulsed in with a
60 right away. Got in line for completion and ate
everything in sight waiting. Vet gave him A's and a few B's
(cap. refill, skin tenting and muscle tone) CRI was 48 and
gut sounds were A- still, all the way through!!!!!!!!! He
was tired but alert and healthy. Out of 28, we ended up
15th. 4 pulled that day in the 25. We are so proud of him
and hope we can continue this thread! We at least now have
a better handle on him and what he needs. Thanks again for
the information!

=====
Heidi-aerc#M20935  /\_/\~