Terrible Reality Check

Okay - here's what happened at a local horse show today.  A hunter/jumper
show - A-rated.  A 16 yr-old girl (unnamed as yet) fell off her horse in
a High Jumper Training class (something like that) and the horse crashed
ON her and remained ON her for about 45 seconds!!!!  EMT came running
over, and the whole show stopped - everyone in shock just staring at that
ring  - no ambulance on show grounds, and, I hear, no doctor or medical
vehicle!  I gather 911 was called, and then doctors everywhere, then,
after about 30 minutes, and a doctor filnally called in and doing
seemingly endless CPR, two ambulances arrived.  Still CPR work.  I ran
down to the driveway to see if I could help keep the road open only to
the ambulances, but already  being done.  I was there when the one
ambulance came slowly down the gravel driveway, then, SLOWLY and QUIETLY
turned onto the paved road, heading towards the hospital.  Ugh!!  All
this time I heard everyone very upset and talking about why did it take
so long fo get an ambulance on site!  I had thought that A-rated shows
were required to have one ready at all times????  Another person said,
no, 5 years ago, that was changed to just EMT.  Well, the main issue
is.... time could well be of the essence, so why isn't there a STRICT
observance of health care/doctor, transportation available
immediately????!!!!  Very scarey stuff.  It was finally announced that
the girl died in the ring.  Memorial service at the show tomorrow.  Just
terrible, terrible event.  The show did go on.  All I can think of now is
something MUST be done to assure the best healthcare for the horse AND
RIDER at ANY equine event!!!!!  Remember, the horse vets were there, but
no doctor, no ambulance!

And I have to go back there tomorrow.... ugh!
Life is sooooo precious -- we have to do a better job protecting it!

Karen in PA

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.