trails

In a message dated 7/6/00 11:10:39 PM, ridecamp-d-request@endurance.net
writes:

<< Many people ride endurance on trails they have to do twice or there
times simply because they love to be astride a horse. When you are
astride a horse does it really matter what the trails look like?

Yay, Truman!! Isn't it great that distance riding offers something for
everyone, even us dolts who don't mind riding the same trails over and over
and over?
   Now, after 33,000 miles of distance riding (endurance and CTR) I'm leaving
tomorrow for the Kettle Classic in the Kettle Moraine Forest in Wisconsin.
In 1969 I did my very first ride there--believe it or not it was a 2-day 100.
 Only ride in the Midwest at that time.  Can't believe now that I finished
it.  And I've done that ride at least once EVERY YEAR since.  Sometimes the
100, sometimes the 50 and always also the 25 mile CTR on the same weekend.
Saturday I'll do the 25 miler on my 25-year old mare (who has 7,000 total
miles)  and Sunday will do another 25 on my gelding (4,000 miles) who is just
recovered from a tendon problem. And yes we will loop back to base camp for
the checks.  There is a definite advantage to this.  I never have a crew, and
don't need one when the checks are "back home."
    It's not that I haven't done rides out of the Midwest.  Have completed
Tevis, Big Horn,  Land between the Lakes,  Old Dominion twice and started the
Florida 3-day 100 competitive, and have enjoyed them thoroughly.  It doesn't
really matter where you ride when you're totally committed to  this
affliction.  Louise Riedel