out of camp checks and ride times

Karen C. wrote:
>How many regions are there that don't have any point to point rides?
>Or that don't have at least the vet checks out of camp? (just
>curious)

We have some with an out of camp check but it's usually just one so on a
50 you still come back into camp at least twice. Most of our rides tho
are figure 8s so you're back in camp each check.  That's right for a 100
that's between 6 and 8 times back in camp depending on loop lenght
etc...The exception to this is the upcoming Big South Fork mulit-day
ride where most if not all of the checks are out and we get to use new
trail each day according to the ride flyer (Yeah!!!!!!).
=====================
Karen C also wrote in the same post <g> :  hours and the second one in
>4:25.  Is this NORMAL for you
>guys?  Where are you anyhow?  I don't know very many people that would
>take a horse on their second 50 and go that fast.  I
>looked up my horses on-line and in over 6000 miles I haven't done any
>rides in 4:25 or better (well, except for 25 miles).  Are the
>trails that much easier/flatter or something?  Shorter?  What is the
>>difference?

I can't speak for this poster or anyone else but I've done 2 or 3 rides
where I've finished around that time - and got BC on one of them - but
it was on an experienced horse who had a few years of rides under his
belt.  Many of our 50's routinely have top 5 ride times below the 5 hour
mark and several are closer to the 4 hour mark for the top few riders
in. Our terrain in the SE for the most part is easier than yours.
Except for the sandy FL rides as I would imagine deep sand would rival
mountains for exertion - Truman - any other FL riders out there who have
also ridden out west?

Tina - who thinks our rides are just fine thank you even if they don't
have big mountains and low humidity and most checks out of camp :)
tina@liveonthenet.com