Re: colicky at rides

You have to read Susan's article in EN about avoiding the metabolic pull.
An eye opener for me was that what you feed the horse on THURSDAY is what
is in his gut on SATURDAY.  I start feeding lots of wet beet pulp with the
regular grain on WEDNESDAY plus a handful of salt with every feeding to
encourage drinking.  I tried this the last two rides and even though we
pulled for stuff other than metabolic, the horses' hydration, drinking,
eating, etc. was the best ever!!!  I also made sure the horses had free
choice hay all the week before.  I believe it made a HUGE difference and
can't wait to try it again!  Both of the last two rides were pretty hot and
humid so I was impressed with the results.  They still got their beet pulp
mash with carrots and apples and some cob at the vet checks and the fact
that they were hungry and eating helped me know they were doing well.  I do
give an ounce of pro bi if their gut sounds drop below an A.....I know some
on RC don't believe the stuff works but I have used it with mild colic
cases with absolute success.  I have used more caution since reading some
posts that too much can cause some problems...I used to give it before we
left, when we got there, the night before, etc.  Now I just give it at the
vet check IF their gut sounds aren't up to snuff and if they are OK, I
don't bother.  So far, so good.  But it might be worth a try.  I bet
filling him up Wed and Thurs with beet pulp and all week with lots of hay
(even if it means isolating them part of the time to make sure they eat it
which I do at night) will make a big difference.  Not a fun thing to be
worrying about.  Good luck!  I bet Susan might have some more insight for
you....maybe her article is on her website?  I can't remember.

Maggie Mieske
Mieske's Silver Lining
10601 S. Richards Rd.
McBain, Michigan 49657