Re: RC: Re: LD and BC

In a message dated 7/5/00 12:03:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time, SandyDSA@aol.com
writes:

<< << Also, if riders (not the horses) were required to ride X number of LDs
  (miles) before they could do 50s, there might be more of a chance that they
  would develop a better concept of pacing and it would give them a chance to
  learn more about the sport before they leap into the longer distances >>
  Yes - thoughts? I have thought of this as an option, >>

Sorry, but there ARE a fair number of riders who know what they are doing and
can get through all that prep work at home--and not just the vastly
experienced.  Those who are already well-versed in other disciplines and who
do their homework can often start out quite safely on 50's.  As one who did a
100 as my first ride, I know I would have been very "turned off" from the
sport by such an approach--I had ridden a great many miles checking cows on
our cattle range prior to ever taking up distance riding, and had done some
CTR's of 35-60 miles (the 60's were 2 days) that were not NATRC and set 5-7
mph paces--and quite frankly, found them to be not very challenging, after I
turned in my umpteenth "perfect" PR score and near perfect vet score.  We
should ADVISE people without a great deal of experience to start with LD's,
and how to use them, but keep in mind that not all that start this sport are
novices with their first horses!

Heidi