Define Overriding

Jessica Tuteur jessicat@napanet.net
If we really wanted to have better on site
diagnosis we would need something like 1 vet
for every 10 horses. With 4-5 vets to every 100
horses we often still have huge lines, bitchy
contestants, etc. But thats not really my point...

The point is: Riders are responsible for their mounts.
End of conversation. The vets are not out there to police
the ride, they are not there to be sure no horse gets overridden. They are there to help evaluate the horses
for the brief 2-3 minutes they spend with them in the
vet checks. The other minutes of the 12 hours alloted
is up to the rider.

For all that have been to one of the Nicholson's XPs
you know that 80 riders can get through 5 days of tough
trail with only 1 quick vet check. Sure now and again
a horse gets in trouble, is overridden, gets hurt,
whatever. But the majority of those horse/rider teams
make it through without a problem and without any
policing by the vet. Wonder why?

This is really about riders taking responsibilty for
their horses, for understanding their mounts and knowing
when they are pushing too hard. For those few who can't
find a way to do that without hurting their horses adding
more police isn't going to stop them. There are stories
of riders getting kicked out of one ride only to drive
through the night to ride another one. There will always
be more rides and there will always be those few who
will ride harder than others think is ok, sometimes
to the detriment of their horse, but not always.

WE need to make riders responsible....maybe punishing
them for having too many pulls in a season is the way...
but I don't think punishing them for having too many wins
will work in our current system of points, BC, overall
awards, etc. We should leave the paced riding to
NATRC.

I don't know the answer but I sure don't want to have
to find 5 more vets for my ride! :)

Ok off my soap box now.

Jessica Tuteur
RM - Wine Country - West Region