Heidi (anyone)- have you heard of.....

My horse was diagnosed with this.  He has the symptoms listed below (copied
by my friend who works for another vet).  He does have hypersensitivity when
touched along/near the spine (withers to croup).  Wondering if this is
painful when I ride.

The vet that diagnosed it prescribed 3 days of Azium and another 2 treatments
every other day.  He said a biopsy might be needed if the Azium did not help.
 What is "SLE?"

What would you suggest?

Thank you!
Melody

Equine Variegated (Reticulated) Leukotrichia
1.Signalment
     a. Primarily Quarter Horses in U.S.
     b. Usually yearlings

2.Clincial signs
     a.Linear crusts on back between withers and tail
     b.Temporary alopecia when crust shed
     c.Hair grows back white--cross-hatched pattern
     d.No pain;no Leukoderma

3.Etiopathogenesis
     a.Cause unknown--may be hereditary

4.Diagnosis by clinical signs, biopsy to rule out SLE, discoid lupus

5.Treatment--none, melanocyte stimulating hormone?

6.Client education--do not breed?