More on the Oakland Hill Ride

I just wanted to add something to the notes concerning the Oakland Hill
Ride problem.  While I didn't do that ride - I have spent the past two
years riding with Ken and Rocky 3 times a week in conditioning and other
rides.  I stable at the same barn and see Rocky all the time.

Ken has spent the past 2-3 years bringing Rocky along slowly to the point where
he and Rocky are now starting to benefit from the effort.  Ken and Rocky
had never placed first before several weeks ago at Cooley Ranch but had
top tenned sometimes. Ken and I spent a lot of time conditioning
slowly for last years Tevis and rode it with the intention of just finishing.
We did and it was Rockys first 100 finish in 63rd place.  In 4 years of
riding - Rocky has not had a pull other than one of the very first rides
he did in 1996.  Rocky did have a RO when he wiped out Kens knee at the
previous Oakland Hills Ride taking a tree too close.

At Oakland Hills - my understanding is that both Ken and David were 50 minutes
ahead of the next riders.  Ken suggested backing off on the pace and helping
the horses to David and was not accepted.

Rocky was a little tired at the end. It was a fast pace although Lari Shea had
done it even faster several years ago.  I saw Rocky after the ride, the next
day, and then several days during the week.  He looked fine after 2
rides in a row.

Ken takes excellent care of Rocky and I have never seen him put rocky in
a situation where there was any problem in 2 years of riding with him a lot.
Ken has loaned Rocky to Ride and Tie riders - and really paid his dues
on bringing Rocky to where he is now.

My view is that Ken and Rocky were competitive at Oakland Hills - as a number
of top ten riders are.  He certainly did not take any risks with Rocky.
I believe David just got into a competitive situation that can make people
forget what we all need to remember - the safety of your horse comes first,

Mike