Re: Oakland Hills Incident-what constitures abuse?

> Maybe the guy rides too hard. But then, the perspectives of this
particular
> group range far and wide as to what is "riding too hard".

It all depends on a definition of what abuse is.

I would hazard a guess that a large numbers of horses end up in endurance
becuase they just love to go!  In many cases, it becomes a matter of the
rider having to train the horses to slow down and pace themselves.........or
they would run themselves into the ground.  I don't doubt that in some of
these hard rides, even with conditioned horses, there are some being ridden
right on the edge of their strength, and it is the knowledge and care the
riders gives that gets them though without any problems.
It is a beautiful thing to watch fit endurance horses going down the trail
looking like they enjoy what they are doing.

To me, though, a horse being beaten or whipped to go and finish a ride, or
top ten, or win, is WRONG.  And, I'm not shy about getting after my horses
if they misbehave.  But, all that I have taken on rides, WANT to go.  I have
no idea if they are top ten material or not, but If I had to whip or spur
them to do it, I would not-THAT is what I call abuse.  IF I wanted to
compete at that level, I might have to find another horse.

We all try endurance for different reasons-some for the challenge of just
finishing, some to learn more about their horse, some to enjoy the camping;
social activity and new trails, and SOME purely for competitive reasons.
Here comes my opinion now-as a middle aged adult I can see how I could
have gotten really competitive in my 20's.  But at my age, the
competitiveness seems somewhat juvenile and distasteful-I just don't,
personally, see the point.  When you involve animals that have NO CHOICE in
the matter, and are pushed, it seems to me to be bordering on abuse.
Because people get so worked up and competitive they lose sight of what they
are maybe doing to their horse.  And, there are many horses that are
exceptions to this, and are themselves competitive!!  If an adult needs that
competitiveness in their life, there are plenty of other sports that don't
involve animals!

I believe horses are very strong animals far capable of much more work than
most people ask of them. I have no problem with horses being used and worked
as long as they are properly cared for and have comfortable tack.

But endurance riding is an extreme.  These horses give trememdously.  To
force one to go faster, I find abusive.  I have seen riders in first place
whipping horses to go. I don't see how they can find any
joy in a first place win.

Just my opinions folks, and not a criticisim of the Oakland ride incident,
just food for thought.

Karen