Oakland Hills Incident

Lisa Jordan pslj5@home.com
I have been waiting for this thread... I'm glad people are attempting to stop the rumor flinging because the person in question may actually take some of this information to heart if it's true to what he experienced.
I was working at the ride. Dave was running second after the lunch stop behind another guy (who also races for first on the same horse two weeks in a row).  The front runner came in and said he hadn't seen Dave in awhile. Almost an hour later (as we were beginning to worry at camp) the second rider came in - a woman. She reported that Dave was down a ravine out of sight with his horse and needed help. She gave directions (x minutes at an extended trot down the trail). Second hand from what Dave told the first rescuers - his horse had lost his footing while going around a turn (not much turn) on the single track and slid/rolled down about 100 feet through much bramble. Dave had baled on the trail. He went down to cut the horse loose from the bramble. The horse fell another 150 feet or so to a landing. He must of been there about two hours before the vet, rescue riders, radio guy and ride manager showed up. Of course that part of the trail was not reachable by vehicle. All involved carried fluids, rope and necessary equiptment apporximately 3/4 mile in to the top of the ravine.
The vet set the horse up with fluids and all helped to try to clear a switchback trail. One attempt was made to get the horse moving, but the horse was too weak. Management radioed park rangers to help. They came with equiptment. The rescue riders came back to get more help. The primary organizer and I took food, water, more fluid and other supplies for the horse. We drove as far as we could and hiked supplies in. The horse was looking better by that time - and the trail was improving.
I went back to the truck for more. By that time some fire brigade types (not the department) showed up and helped my haul the water. They brought climbing rope and tools.
The horse ate and drank heartily while ten guys built a usable trail. After the vet and rider were sure that the horse had the strength, ropes were put around the horse for guidance and the horse walked out one plateau at a time. This was about five hours after the fall.
Much speculation back at camp and with rescue people was heard. Most were extremely upset at Dave given that his reputation is one of ride-to-win even multiple rides in a row on the same horse.
The horse returned to camp and was tied to the trailer during dinner looking okay. I know nothing of the rumor that the horse died.
I must say, I don't know Dave - I've ridden and worked rides that he's been on, that's about it. On that basis I have no trouble believing his reputation. He is affectionate with his horse AND does ride hard.
The one thing that really got to me in dealing with this incident is that I never heard a word of thanks/appreciation to any of the people that participated in the rescue attempt. Maybe I missed it, but other's involved said they missed it too.
I guess I believe that those of us participating in this sport have to rely on each other  - as it's riders that put on rides, riders that vet, riders that volunteer. Maybe next time Dave's at a ride (Dave, are you listening) competing hard or not - he may say "thanks" to the P&R people that have to compete with his HRM reading, "thanks" to the vets who give him good advice and "thanks" to all that help along the way - those unpaid people, that participate for the love of the sport and to give back, may have been the ones that came to help his horse out of that ravine....

Lisa