Re: ridecamp-d Digest V00 #1021

Roger, thought I would answer this to the list since there are a "bunch" of
folks from the East heading to the same place this year....Yeah... As you
know, I travel out nearly every year and have been lucky to have 2 horses
that travel better than I do.
I-40 is rough thru Arkansas and most of Oklahoma but still much shorter than
any other way.  I would go North rather than South is you were planning to
miss it.
4 days is more than generous...I go in 3 and have done it in 2.  I stay in
KOAs most of the time without calling ahead so I am not locked in to stopping
at a certain time. I stop about every 4 hours and unload.  Truck stops are
the best place as most have a grass area in the back and horses would rather
eat than walk but I insist on both. Just be sure and clean up after horse at
both places so we are permitted to come back another year.  Some KOAs charge
a manure deposit but I have always gotten it back and that is with a pen.  I
usually ask for an outside spot so I don't infringe on anyone else..Of
course, everyone comes to see the horsie and I try to put a positive spin of
traveling with one and of course Endurance riding.  Have given little
"leading pony rides" at certain locales mostly to the children of the owner
of the campground.  Good PR.  I usually don't ride during the trip but know
of others who have and of course finding a place to do that is the hard part.
 I just try to lead and mabe longe.
I have not had trouble carrying enough hay.  Alfalfa is quite often all you
can find easily out there.  I don't elyte during the trip but would if the
horse sweated a great deal.  Don't use Pro bi.  There is a KOA in  Oklahoma
just over the line from Arkansas  and 2 in Arkansas that I have stayed at
several times.  Almost any of them in Texas and New Mex allow me to camp with
my horses.  Wait until you see some of the rest areas in NM....they have
corrals so the horse can really relax, roll and you can eat in peace.  If you
can think of more questions, let me know..

Susan K---Tennessee  headed to NM