barefoot and traction

I can certainly speak for the traction part except in the other
direction. Jose is barefoot right now (as my business trip schedule
meant virtually no riding for almost a month anyway) and as I merrily
traipsed down the road for a short walk the other day I was _just_
thinking how nice it was not to be near the pavement with steel on his
feet.

I shouldn't have thought that :) About 5 minutes later I went to turn
Jose around and his inside front foot slid/slipped and the other feet
followed suit as he tried to regain his footing. By the time all was
said and done, I ended up with 2 nasty bruises from my leg being between
him and the stirrup when we hit the ground - thank goodness for the EZ
ride metal stirrups as they withstood the pressure and didn't collapse
or break. If so, I probably would've been looking at a broken ankle. The
only other damage was some road burn on both knees and two good scrapes
for him.

Anyway, I learned that bare feet can be just as slick as shod feet on
the pavement.

I think I'll just start walking on foot on the mile of road I have to
use to get to any trail.

Or maybe just take up basketweaving.

Tina and Jose who fell down and went boom! last weekend
Three reasons for shoeing : 1. Excessive wear
                                        2. Traction
                                        3. Theraputic
      If none of these things are needed I think barefoot is best
myself.After all God does not pre drill holes for nails. RD