Trip to NC50

As of now I am still planning on taking Omni to the NC 50 in Aug.

I thought I would ask the list -- esp those who are going from the east
and those who live along the way.

How is Rt40 for travel? I heard it is real rough after crossing the Miss
River. One truck driver said to go south then swing back up north - but
that adds many more miles and another day for the looks of it.. so I40
still looks like the best way to go.

Places to stay
Suggested KOA camp grounds
Do I need to get numbers and call ahead.
I really did not want to spend hours driving off rt40 to find a place to
park for the night.

I plan on doing no more then 8 hr days of driving.
I do not really need a place to set up a pen since I have the Trailer
Tie system and he seems to do  well on that. SO i will not be putting up
a pen.

I would like to tack up each day and ride a very short way about 1/2 hr
maybe.
Does anyone else who travels long ever do this after the days drive. I
think it would help to work out trailer stiffness

I have never traveled this far with a horse- can you tell- and with
Omni's 'worry' attitude I am quite concerned with just how he will take
the trip. We are going without a buddy, I cant see taking Carols horse -
I need the room for all the hay - feed and stuff in the other stall.

Whats the opinion about buying local hay as I go through towns. I dont
think I can haul enough of our hay for the whole trip

I really hope to get there in 4 days - spend 3 nights stopped  and
arrive early the 4th day- rather then a long haul on any day

I read the articles in the HORSE Mag - this month, seems I do it as well
as recommended.
His trailer is open - stock - only 1/4 open at the top.
I added a rear slant removable wall to hold him in a Reverse slant load
position - He use to stand fixed in the corner and would shake and worry
- seems he did not care for the 'free' load. Since I have been using the
fixed rev slant position, he appears to be very relaxed every time I
stop. He even ate well - wet BP/Feed and hay the last 2 trips.

I put this foam reflective foil under the mats to keep road heat off the
floor. It did seem better last weekend.

I bought a really cool but expensive AIR RIDE tow hitch. My Biggie
motorhome really jerks the trailer around , this appeared to let the
trailer travel better, less bounce and jerk.

This trailer is all AL, Seems to reflect the heat well - so I dont think
there will a major problem with him getting hot in the trailer.

I do plan on stopping every 4 hrs  for about 1/2 hr. I dont know if I
will unload. Seems the jury is not convinced that unloading is a good
idea. I guess it will depend on where we stop.

Gee can you tell I am getting "TENSE" about this trip.
I think the travel is worrying me more then the actual ride.

I plan on doing the elyte thing - but how much ?? I think 1 oz
am-midday-pm should be enough - it will be hot - i have water in the
trailer - he can drink - of course i will be checking for hydration and
guts all the time.

Feeding - plan on giving less then normal- feed mostly BP and some oats
mixed in on the road along with reg hay and my Dengie chop hay. At night
the normal grain mix but less vol.
Probotics, if he is pooping and guts are up to speed - NONE, or very
little in the feed at the end of each day. What do some of you - that
use probotics- do on the road.
Biggest thing i have to address here is his lack of eating well while in
travel.
we will be using antacid product called neigh-lox from ker.
my worst fear is the trailer trip will do him in - before the ride..

I also installed a closed circuit TV/monitor to see how it is going -
now that is real focused or AR--  I may have a wreck looking at the
monitor instead of the road.
Did not cost much - I always thought it would be a good idea anyway
-this just gave me the reason to get the system installed.
I use hard wire. Seems the RF type does not do well though AL and steel.
The mfgr I bought the camera from would not sell the more costly RF
system, The hard wire camera was LOTS less ( $149) vs $249 for the RF
system) He said the RF would not work in my application. I am using a
small LCD TV/MONITOR from Radio Shack.

we have one dry run left - Summer Breeze50
2 weeks before - but only one week before we leave. Will use this as a
test run and go very slow during the race.

All input appreciated- from riders and vets - prof  etc..

roger