was:safe to feed joint supplements now:young horses& hard work

Just curious, if you take money out of the picture, how old should a horse be
before starting fast work/ racing? Or is age not as important as whether or
not the horse has the proper foundation for the speed work? I watch the
standardbreds work at a local track and they do no IT and do not have a HRM
or even a stethoscope, and these horses are their income, not just a hobby
like mine. They all have leg problems of some kind. I keep thinking your book
and a sound but slow horse look like a good investment.

                                                Shelly in DE