Thistles (was Aloe Vera juice)

> You would be surprised at what horses think is tasty!  We have a weed here
> (don't know, not a botanist) that looks like a giant dandelion crossed with a
> thistle.  I call it horse candy, because they will try to eat it along the
> trail, even when they aren't very hungry.  Even Misty Moon, my picky mare,
> likes it.  I had a piece of one and tasted it (WAY to curious) and it was
> horrible bitter and I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth for hours!

Question: Is that Yellow Star Thistle we're talking about?  Sometimes,
horses will acquire a taste for this weed during certain times of the
year, and will seek out both the immature and mature plants in pasture,
even when plenty of other feed is available.

One problem with this plant is that it can develop an irreversible
nigropallidal encephalomalacia when eaten in large enough quantities.
By large, I'm alluding to 60% or more of the horse's body weight in
plant material for a long period of time, not just a few bites along the
trail.  The symptoms typically include a sudden occurance of "drooping",
or hanging lips and tongue... the toxin so far is unknown, but repin may
suspected.  Of course, other unrelated injuries or poisons may also
cause this symptom besides the toxin in Yellow Star Thistle.

I would think my biggest concern about trail grazing Yellow Star Thistle
would be from the mechanical injury.  Those thorns are tough and sharp,
and could leave quite a bit of damage on the lips and mouth if eaten.

Yellow Start Thistle has slightly wispy, dandilion-like flowers at the
top, with long, cactus-like thorns radiating from below, which gives it
the "star" appearance when the flower is viewed from above.  The plant
itself looks like a small, airy bush with very few leaves but plenty of
flowers, standing anywhere from just a few inches tall to 3 feet or so
(when really happy).  While immature, the emerging plant's stems sort of
hug the ground, making it difficult to remove, but also easy to
recognize in pasture for those of us who have to get rid of it :-).  The
stems do head skyward as the plants becomes older and more established.

Anyway, I hope the info. helps.  This weed is a real problem in states
like California... it seems to grow just about anywhere!

Kim  (and 'Lee, the QH-mutt)

in Lubbock, Texas   (where we have to deal with Deadly Nightshade,
Sticky Aster, and Buffalo Burr in our pastures, among other pretty
flowers :-) )