Re: Collection and Endurance

>Kristene ksmuts@sarcc.co.za
>Good afternoon
>
>I am currently bringing on a 7yr old Arab Stallion - just broken
>in - and we are working sparingly right now as it is winter and
>time is at a premium.  All literature I have read, advocates some
>dressage training to get the horse to use his back muscles and
>hind quarters.  My question is : when riding any distance,
>should the horse be in constant collection, or frame, to use
>those muscles and quarters?  Surely this would then shorten the
>trot and canter strides and not use the entire body efficiently?
>And if this is not the way to ride long distance, how would I
>get him to use his back muscles and quarters while using an
>efficient gait?
>
>He naturally holds his head down in a very relaxed manner when
>trotting or cantering, but being green, does not know how to use
>his entire body to best advantage.
>
>I value all your knowledge and look forward to your replies
>
>Thanking you
>Kristene from South Africa

Hi Kristene,
I'd like to first mention what dressage actually is. ;-)  Correct dressage
is only partly about collection and having the horse in a frame (and it's a
very small part)...and this "frame" actually comes from proper muscle
development over the years, *not* something that you "put" a horse into.
Note: I said "correct dressage".  There are a lot of instructors who's sole
mission, it seems, is to "put" the horse in a frame by whatever quick means
possible (side reins, draw reins, running martingales, etc.)...almost as if
quickly accomplishing this "frame" is some sign of great success as a
trainer...a method that will backfire further on down the road by having
incorrect muscle development with possible subsequent loss of soundness.

Dressage training refers to the step-by-step process of training the horse
to correctly use it's body...a methodical way of training and conditioning
the horse's muscles that ultimately emphasizes building the muscles of the
topline *correctly*.  As you go thru the steps of (correctly) training a
green horse, the horse gradually builds up the muscles in his back,
shoulders, and neck giving it that nice lifted, rounded look.  It's a
method that takes years, not months, to do correctly.  You are at an
advantage if you have a horse that is naturally more collected (Arabs,
Lippizans, Fresians, etc.) in that you'll have a horse that can hold
collection in self-carriage a bit sooner for a longer period of time (and
more dramatically) than a horse with a lower neck set.  It still takes
time, tho, even for the "naturals"!  (Then you have the other problem of
teaching them to go forward in a relaxed, long body frame...but that's a
whole 'nother discussion. ;-))

Here is the Reader's Digest version of what takes place:

When the rider uses the calf of his leg against the horse's side, he
stimulates a nerve that runs along the "heave line".  This stimulation
causes the horse to bring that hind leg up under his belly further.  To do
this, he has to contract his abdominal muscles -- which, in turn, lifts the
back.  If the rider sits heavy on his tailbones, this final part is more
difficult for the horse...so it's important that the rider have his weight
in his heels enough to slightly lighten his seat (slight weight off the
seatbones so that his weight is more evenly distributed between them and
the pubic bone.)  If you use a slight bit of pressure with the thighs
(during seated gaits), the whole movement will sorta "suck" the horse up
with you.  Riding in a two-point position and not landing hard during the
sitting part of the posted trot will also allow the horse more freedom to
lift his back.  The end result of the lifted back is the rounding of the
neck with the head coming more towards a vertical position.

When dressage training first starts, the horse may do this only slightly
and for just a short period of time on his own.  As he builds his muscles
up over time, he's able to lift the back more and hold this position for a
longer period of time.  If the rider starts to force the horse's neck and
head into this position (with draw reins, side reins, heavy hands, etc.),
he will start to develop the underside muscles and an incredible ability to
be heavy on the reins...he has learned to lean on this artificial support
since it's his only way to relieve the strain of having to hold this
isometric muscle position for a too long period of time.  Muscles cramp
after a short period of time (particularly during the early stages of
conditioning) and the horse's only recourse is to lean on something for
relief.  You can see why "collection" and the ability to hold it for any
length of time doesn't happen very quickly.  This is where the "years" come
in. ;-)  With this also is correct use of the rest of the rider's body
(torso, shoulders, arms, hands, head) and avoidance of holding both reins
solid and firm (the horse will lean harder and harder if you give him
something to lean on...ie the rider pulling on the reins)

It's also important to the horse relax and stretch his neck every few
minutes. The horse should still be on light contact when he does this --
steady on the outside rein and "communicating" on the inside rein with
slight squeezes or vibrations -- allowing him to lower his head and neck by
teaching him to take more rein as you give it.  If his head comes back up,
the reins are taken back to where they were.  Consistency in the light rein
contact is important to developing the horse's trust in the rider's
hands...which will allow him to concentrate more on the rest of the
communications. ;-)

One of the ways to help develop these muscles is to do lots of hills...and
be sure to lighten your seat and have your weight in your heels so that he
can bring his back up more easily.  When you don't have hills, work more on
lateral moves such as leg yielding and shoulder-in which encourages the
horse to bring the back leg under the belly more.  In the different
exercises, the cue still starts with the rider's legs stimulating the
horse's side.  As time goes by, the horse will develop the ability to use
his body correctly for a longer period of time.  This muscle development
will help him when he is going in a longer, forward frame during a reaching
trot, walk, canter, etc.  The correct muscle development will support his
body during that time...AND give him the ability to "collect" with the more
upright, shorter strided frame for those brief moments that you actually
want real "collection".  An important point here also for success in the
horse's training is that when the rider is not actually doing exercises
purposely to work on these muscles, he needs to continue to ride as well as
he can the rest of the time.

Hope this answers some of your questions...in a fairly long round-about
way, anyway. ;-)

Sue

"If all you can do is what you've always
done, then all you can be is what you are right now."
                              author unknown

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm
Marysville, Wa.