Re: Wheat Germ?

> She definitely isn't feeding a pound of the stuff....more like a cottage
> cheese container....
> she feeds him wheat germ meal AND wheat germ oil....

No particularly earth-shattering advantage to wheat germ oil over any other
good-quality vegetable oil, and a lot more expensive.  She'd probably be
better off adding some beet pulp to his ration, or one of the beet
pulp-based feeds, like Complete Advantage or Rely.

Free-choice hay wouldn't hurt.  But it doesn't sound like she's making any
huge mistakes---believe me, there are plenty of horses out there on some
pretty strange feeding regimens.  Last week, I got an email from somebody
wanting to know why I didn't have an article on my website extolling the
virtues of horehound and ginseng for horses.  And the week before, someone
wanting to know if it was okay if she shared a peanut butter sandwich with
her horse, which was okay by me---I used to share bean burritos with Mikey.

Susan G