Re: RC: Liberty Run 50

> I gave electrolytes pre trailer > ride
> and at  camp 3/4 oz mixed with Maalox and carrots.

Roger, I've been mixing a little Maalox in my electrlytes too, but I
thought it was you who pointed out there was something in there that
might be counterproductive... At Longstreet's Charge we did have one
horse that required treatment.  It was well hydrated, and had been double
dosed with electrolytes, but the gut quit moving.  No matter how much
fluids went in, they had to tube them back out, not going anywhere.  He
was taken to UT, treated and is fine.  They weren't sure what the problem
was, but had theorized that perhaps the horse hadn't absorbed the
electrolytes well *because* she mixed with Maalox.  Thought maybe it had
coated the stomach, etc. I just put about a teaspoon in mine.  Anybody
got any ideas on this?  Also, Kaboot did well at Liberty,and didn't eat
ANY carrots or apples. (he usually eats lots!) It was the first time he'd
ever been offered the baby carrots (I forgot his, those were for the
family) and he didn't eat them. He ate beat pulp, and cane.  I think
EVERYBODY had poor gut sounds that day, so it wasn't just your horse.
Nikki Young said that they were just pulling their blood away from the
gut and to the skin to try and cool themselves.  Kaboot never got sad
eyed or anything and ate well, but you could definately feel the heat
radiating off of him when you stopped!

I did not like the 20 mile non-stop loop.  That's fine if you're going
for a completion, but I was running top five and there is no doubt that
if I'd stopped I'd have given up at least 3 placings.  The fact was that
some would, and could go on without a stop...doesn't mean they should.
If I had stopped and the two I was traveling with had gone on (which they
said they planned to do) he wouldn't have eaten a bite.  As it was, we
managed to grab bites of cane from the road.  I would have like to have
seen a mandatory 20-30 minute hold, without necessarily adding a vet
check.

Angie

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.